“An experience to never forget” quoted a Howard University student. On Friday, September 24, 2010 I was truly inspired. This is the day I experienced my first opening convocation at Howard University. This University has been opened for 143 years. It was a life changing event. Many students acted as if it did not matter but to me it meant a lot. I am actually glad that I was recommended to attend the program. The program consisted of singing, informational notes, and an amazing speaking who went by the name Benjamin Carson. The information received was influential. Many people spoke. They told us how they wanted us to be great. We, Class of 2014, are now apart of a great university. We are now given the opportunities to bring that better person out of us. Benjamin Carson also known as Ben was a man of value. He said various things that students, faculty and staff can relate to and actually understand. When people receive guest speakers they expect to have someone who will keep their interest. Many people also want to gain something inspirational out the speech. When this man spoke to us that is te vibe I received. He gave me the energy to be better and do what I need to do to be better. He was educational. This very person is one of the best surgeons in the nation. He separated the two Siamese twins who are still living til this very day thanks to him and God. He is a legend who made history, yet when he was younger and in school no one would believe he could do such a thing. In school he was called dummy and no one but his mother and God believed in him. When people do not believe oin you for some people that can be hard. Of course, everyone wants those people who they know and love to believe in them, but sometimes it just does not happen that way. Ben Carson showed and proved to us that you do not always need those people to succeed, as long as you have faith in yourself and God here is another way. To achieve your goals he says, “You must work hard”. He discusses his medical school experience. About 6wks after he started his medical school experience, his grades were not where he wanted them to be in order to do weell in his field. After his advisor realized this he told Carson, “I do not think you are cut out for this, maybe we should find something different for you.” Ben ignored the comment and kept reaching for his dream, and now he is one of the best surgeons in the country. This shows us that no matter what people say as long as you work hard, keep faith, and have the passion you can do anything. You can be the best if you choose to be the best. He was very encouraging and inspirational. At convocation, I was given the chance to listen and adhere to everything I was told. I did gain a lot. I came to a great understanding of certain topics. I appreciate being able to attend an event like this program. It was inspiring and influential.
I am a Howard University student who attended opening convocation on September 24, 2010.
I agree with you convocation was very inspirational and encouraging and i am also happy i got the chance to be able to attend it.
ReplyDeleteThe convocation was so encouraging. I agree with you on that point most definitely. It opened my eyes to why I am in college and how I can get through it. I enjoyed it thoroughly although I was not able to attend. I did however view it online. Amazing!
ReplyDelete