"We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend. And we honor those ideals by upholdhing them not when it's easy, but when it is hard.", quoted by our very own president, Barack Obama. When I hear this quote I think of all the issues we have in the U.S. For the longest, as African Americans, we just settled. When I say we settled I feel as if we had various opportunities to make a point of how important we are in this nation or to even stand tall and be proud to say "yes, I am African American", yet in fact we did not. For many years we allowed people to down us, call us out our name, and demean us to our lowest level. We fought to defend our race, defend who we are as people,but only when nobody threatened us, only when we were the only ones who could hear us. But as soon as we were challenged we backed down, acted scared, and did not let out a peep. As a race we had began to lose ourselves and forget who we are, African americans. today, we will not dtand for that anymore. Today, we are fighting to show everyone else that we do matter, even when it gets hard, but we have not reached our goal. We must keep fighting, keep speaking out, and keep being proud because soon enough we will have our glory.
BARACK OBAMA, Nobel Lecture, DEC 10, 2009
http://www.notable-quotes.com/o/obama_barack.html
I def agree wit you! After slavery, black were proud of who they were and they fought for everything. Without hesitation. Today, we are all so comfortable in the place were are in that we dont have the same fight in us. It is important for African Americans to continue fighting for equality and justice.
ReplyDelete